Aim (according to the charter of the Foundation and following the traditions of the historical Mättig Foundations)
Conditions for applicants
- The promotion of students, young scientists from Bautzen and the Upper Lusatian region.
- The promotion of activities by young people (Bachelor / Degree and Master graduation works
and/or their publication) to research, to develop, to preserve and to present the cultural and
historical legacy of Bautzen and the Upper Lusatian region, amongst which feature the history
of Gregorius Mättig and his foundations.
- The promotion of activities by young people who deal with the historical, literary and musical
legacy of Bautzen and the Upper Lusatian region. Also the legacy and the creative traditions in
the fields of painting and graphics, sculpture, theatre, film and photography.
- The award will take place annually and may be presented interchangeably to any of the
- Students or young scientists between the ages of 20 and 30.
- The applicant has to demonstrate conclusively that he or she has obtained good or very good notes.
- The applicant originates from or lives in Bautzen or the Upper Lusatian region.
- An annual grant will be awarded the first time in September 2009 in Bautzen,
- The award is presented by the Foundation Council of the Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig-Stiftung and
will be based on the recommendations of a jury constituted by three professional members,
- Significant written applications are to be addressed to the Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig-Stiftung - the
ultimate date being 30th January of any one award year.
It is the sincere and explicit wish of the Dr. Gregorius-Mättig-Stiftung, that alumni of the Mättig
award further the cause of the Foundation, that they promote the aims of the Foundation and that
they support future awards for young scientists.
The results of the achievement, which are sponsored through the Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig-Stiftung,
are to be made known to the Foundation. The awards granted by the Foundation are to be
Total amount of the grant
Offer of a reward for 2009
The first Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig Grant will be awarded for the promotion of activities by young people
(Bachelor / Degree and Master graduation works and/or their publication) to research, to develop,
to preserve and to present the cultural and historical legacy of Bautzen and the Upper Lusatian region,
amongst which feature the history of Gregorius Mättig and his foundations.
Historical works which will be developed and/or published from the beginning of
2009 until the end of 2010, will be supported.
Written works older than 2 years at the time of the application for the award,
will not be considered.
All other conditions and stipulations in relation to the award of the Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig award,
as mentioned above, will apply.
Relevant applications from young historians or art historians in particular, may be forwarded in writing to
Herrn Dr. Uwe Koch
Last date: 30th January 2009.
The jury will be composed of:
Herr Dr. Uwe Koch, President of the Dr.-Gregorius-Mättig-Stiftung Foundation Board,
Frau Grit Richter-Laugwitz, Director of the Archive Federation of Bautzen (Archivverbundes Bautzen)
and Member of the Board of the OLGW (Oberlausitzischen Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften - the Upper
Lusatian Academy of Science),
Herr Dr. Leunert, Deputy in the administrative district of Bautzen.
This first time award of the Dr.-Gregorius-Mätig-Stiftung Award has been made possible by a specific grant from Mr and Mrs Manfred and Regine Gebhardt (Soest/Bautzen).